Community

God is in Control

God is in Control

One of my favorite sayings is “If you want to hear God laugh, tell him you have a plan”. So many times I have come up with a plan, and forgotten that I am not the one in control. I have recently decided to go back to work full time. Anyone that has ever looked […]

Continue Reading
  January 18, 2017   4 comments
The Transition to just Moments of Brokenness

The Transition to just Moments of Brokenness

One of the comforting things I sometimes share with myself these days is some wisdom shared with me from a now deceased close friend who never, ever gave up on me all through the time (years) he watched me self destruct.  He shared them with me at a time when I was fighting through moments […]

Continue Reading
  January 12, 2017   1 comment
Brokenness

Brokenness

Ann Voskamp has become one of my favorite authors.  I find myself when reading an article or one of her books, not able to put it down.  I also find myself internalizing every word that I am reading.  Over this past holiday I picked “One Thousand Gifts” off of my bookshelf.  (The story of how […]

Continue Reading
  January 10, 2017   No comments
A Giving Heart

A Giving Heart

In my late 20’s I was in Industrial Sales.  I was out driving through Chicago with another salesperson, Michael, and on the side of the road there was a man asking for money.  Michael immediately rolled down his window, in a not so great part of Chicago, and handed the guy $5 and said “God […]

Continue Reading
  December 6, 2016   2 comments
Thankfulness through Lepers

Thankfulness through Lepers

It’s been ten years now since Merance was a student in my senior English class at Pohnpei Island Central School, on a small island in the developing country of the Federated States of Micronesia. I still remember passing her home, a tiny shanty with a tin roof, as I walked to church several times a […]

Continue Reading
  November 30, 2016   No comments
Why Does Bad Stuff Happen to Good People?

Why Does Bad Stuff Happen to Good People?

I cannot tell you how many times I have been asked this question, and have even asked it myself.  My daughter, my perfect four year old daughter who’s only sin was probably taking one of her brothers toys, was diagnosed with cancer when she was four years old. Four years old.  At that point can […]

Continue Reading
  November 15, 2016   1 comment
Heart to Heart

Heart to Heart

If you have read much of the Bible you have possibly read the story of Jesus healing the woman who had bled for 12 years. You know she was bleeding unhealed for many years. The loss of blood for so long made her ceremoniously unclean and anything she touched would be unclean. From all account […]

Continue Reading
  October 25, 2016   No comments
Just Show Up

Just Show Up

The team I traveled to Nicaragua with was a group of people who attended West Ridge Community Church…all but a few of whom I did not really know.  The team that traveled home was more like a family.  Pulling together, under leadership that got down and dirty like the rest of us, to do God’s […]

Continue Reading
  September 19, 2016   1 comment
Love warriors

Love warriors

There has been so much anger lately.  Not only is it pretty much all that’s in the daily news, it’s right here in my own little world.  I know someone with whom I have had a good working relationship for several years.  Both of our jobs have recently changed, causing a change in our relationship.  […]

Continue Reading
  September 9, 2016   No comments
A Connected Disconnect

A Connected Disconnect

Let’s look at a biblical progression of time embracing early times, later times, and now.  In Genesis 4 we are told the story of Cain and Abel.  After they grew up, both seemingly had it made. They certainly had the opportunity.  After all, the competition level was surely not like it is in our present […]

Continue Reading
  August 25, 2016   No comments